T.E.N. Political Pages, aka-The Official Serious Obama Blog

Today is November 5, 2008.


As of right now, we are basking in the glow of one of THE greatest moments in history. This is not just for black people, but it's for all people. Even though many black people did vote for him, we only account for a minority...so who brought in the rest?

Alas, I digress.

At any rate, last night, we witnessed the utmost showing of class, dignity and respect. We saw a man bow out gracefully, and even refer to President-Elect Obama as "My President". John McCain had the opportunity to incite the depressed crowd with more of the foolishness we experienced throughout the campaign. Instead, he calmed them down, and encouraged the McCain followers to respect Barack. He also said:

"A century ago, President Theodore Roosevelt's invitation of Booker T. Washington to dine at the White House was taken as an outrage in many quarters. America today is a world away from the cruel and prideful bigotry of that time. There is no better evidence of this than the election of an African-American to the presidency of the United States."

Even they had to applaud that. Hell, I gave the man his props. After all, he proved to me that even he knew what he was up against. I may have made my tempestuous comments about McCain and Palin, but last night, he was graceful. I didn't get to hear Palin say anything, but for some reason, I'm strangely okay with that.

But, how about Barack Obama and the First Family?!?

Last night was electric to put it mildly! I remember sending out dozens of texts and trying to call people left and right. Lines were busy, and after a few minutes, I got a call through. All I heard was "oh my God, he did it". It was the joyful praises of my grandmother. Two grandmothers were alive to see history be made one more time. Last night, many of us (not all) forgot about Jesse Jackson's mess and saw a man cry tears of joy. I believe that a part of him cried because Dr. King should've been here to see this.

Medgar should've been here. Malcolm should've been here.

Thurgood should've been here. Rosa should've been here.

Madelyn should've been here. Barack Sr. should've been here.

However, I would like to say that in spite of the fact that many of our Freedom Fighters were not alive to see this moment of great victory, I would like to say that I am blessed to be here to see this.

Jesse IS here to see this. Michelle IS here to see this.

Malia IS here to see this. Sasha IS here to see this.

Hell, millions of people...black and white are here to see this victory. I thank God that we are alive and able to tell our children that history was made in our lifetime. Even if you voted for McCain, you still were a part of history. You were a part of a 64% voter turnout, which is the highest seen in 100 years.

In the end, Obama came, he saw...

...and he conquered.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Decided On Surgery..De-Fat Posting

Depressed, Compressed, Oppressed, Suppressed, Damn Pressed.

A Woman's Worth...aka-More Than $500k, But Not Quite $9.99